What is the application process?
What is the application process?
There are two (2) parts to the application process:
1. You must set up an account and complete the online process. (Once you have done this, you will get an email back confirming that we received the online application).
2. You must mail in the additional required materials. (See list below).
- Who is Eligible for the scholarship?
• Applicants must be high school seniors at public or private high schools located in Duluth and Northeastern Minnesota which includes school of the cities of Carlton, Cloquet, Esko, Hermantown, Proctor, Two Harbors, Albrook and Wrenshall.
• Applicants must be worthy, promising, and in the upper twenty-percent (20%) of their class as of the semester.
• Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
• Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal residents.
• Applicants must demonstrate traits of high personal character and leadership.
• Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
• Applicants may attend the University of Minnesota(Duluth or Minneapolis campus only), or any accredited, PRIVATE FOUR-YEAR college in the United States.
When is the deadline for submission of materials?
The deadline for submission of the online portion of the application is . Deadline for receipt of the additional required materials is 5:00 pm est . The additional materials required must be mailed in ONE envelope to the , 4320-G Wade Hampton Boulevard, Taylors, SC 29687. The additional materials required must be RECEIVED no later than 5:00 pm est .
What constitutes a complete application packet?
Submit the signed TERMS OF AGREEMENT found in the online application.
Submit an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT with grades and cumulative GPA posted through the   semester. (It must be OFFICIAL.)
Submit SAT/ACT SCORES.
Submit a completed GUIDANCE COUNSELOR FORM. Download the Guidance Counselor Form.
Submit a SIGNED LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION from a classroom teacher, (i.e. Science, Math, English, or Social Studies/History) Teacher must list their subject area.
Submit a PERSONAL STATEMENT/ESSAY. Submit an Essay of fewer than 500 words describing a significant achievement, experience or risk you have taken and its impact on you. Include applicant name and name of the scholarship on the page.
Submit an ACTIVITY, HONORS, ETC FORM, found in the application online. Please include any unusual circumstances pertinent for scholarship consideration. Download the Activity, Honors, ETC Form.
Submit a SIGNED copy of parents` FEDERAL TAX FORM 1040 (pages one and two only) and copies of W-2 FORMS for each parent (if applicable) for the latest year these forms were actually filed. In case of divorced parents, only the custodial parent`s (and current spouse's if remarried) financial information will be required.
Submit a completed IRS W9 form.
If you are a United States citizen, download and submit the IRS W9 form: Download the IRS W9 FormIf you have questions regarding the completion of the IRS form, please follow the insructions on the IRS website:
Instructions for the W9 form can be found at W9 Instructions
- What is the value of the scholarship award?
The number of recipients and the amount of each scholarship may vary from year to year due to fluctuations in the Fund's value and/or applicable document restrictions. Funds are to be applied only to the cost of tuition, fees, books and supplies as required by your courses.
Failure to submit the required materials will result in the permanent loss of the scholarship. Unused funds must be returned to the
- What schools can a recipient attend?
The recipients may attend any campus of the University of Minnesota system: Twin Cities, Duluth, Morris, Crookston, Rochester or an accredited PRIVATE FOUR YEAR college or university in any field of study leading to a degree, diploma or certificate, provided the institution meets the criteria in the following paragraph:
All recipients must be enrolled full-time and working toward an undergraduate degree.
The institution must be an educational organization that normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of pupils or students in attendance at the place where its educational activities are regularly carried on in the United States. To the extent the institution is involved in the selection of the recipients (if at all), such involvement must comply with the Fund's policy of awarding scholarships on an objective and non-discriminatory basis as well as the Fund's Conflict of Interest Policy.
What if I am unable to attend consecutive semesters?
Extenuating circumstances requiring a student to sit out a semester must be explained in writing to CSA. You will be notified of the final decision. If a recipient is out for a semester, then that semester is forfeited.
How are winners selected?
A Grant Committee will consider the respective ability, educational goals, financial need and career ambitions of each applicant.
How will I be notified if I am chosen as a recipient?
All recipients will be notified by email.
Is this scholarship renewable?
This scholarship may be renewed on an annual basis for up to three consecutive additional years (or until the undergraduate degree is obtained, whichever is earlier) provided a full-time undergraduate status is maintained and a cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale is achieved.